Pages

Saturday 12 October 2013

100 things before I travel: No. 23 - Bake a carrot cake

Without burning it!

At the beginning of the week Tommy's mum asked me to bake two carrot cakes for the weekend. This is a favourite in our household and I always whip one up for birthdays, family gatherings and coast trips. Tommy's parents don't like eating too much sugar, which means, no icing! the best part in my opinion... Oh well!

I always use Donna Hay's carrot cake recipe because it's easy and it almost works out great every time, depending on the oven.

Today was a success! I baked two carrot cakes and didn't burn them. Yippee!

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
3/4 vegetable Oil
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon bicarb soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
2 1/2 cups grated carrots (about 3 large carrots)
1/2 cup chopped pecan nuts (I substitute pecans for walnuts)
1/2 cup sultanas (I never use sultanas, one day I will try adding these)

Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Place sugar and oil in a mixing bowl and beat for 2-3 minutes using an electric mixer
Add eggs one at a time and beat well

Sift all the dry ingredients over the sugar and oil mixture
Fold in the dry ingredients before placing the grated carrot and walnuts in the mixture
 Mix the grated carrot and walnuts through until just combined
 Pour cake batter into a well greased cake tin

 Bake in the oven for 55-60 minutes (our oven cooks super fast, so I normally pull it out after 45 minutes-ish)
 The finished product cooling!

The cake was so yummy, even without icing. I like to add an extra dash of vegetable oil, this make the cake super moist and delish.

No comments:

Post a Comment